History of The 100 Club

History - The 100 Club Founders

Left to right:
Founders William A. Smith,
Ray Elliot and
Leopold Meyer in 1976.

It all started in 1953 when five men, Leopold L. Meyer, Ray R, Elliot, R.H. Abercrombie, William A. "Bill" Smith and Jim "Silver Dollar" West, came together in Houston, Texas in a bold move that would fuel the spirit of support for more than half a century. One hundred people each contributed $100 with the goal of helping those dependents of Houston Police Officers who were killed in the line of duty.

In October 2001, The 100 Club expanded that support to begin providing benefits to the dependents of firefighters killed in the line of duty. Between 1995 and 2016, 31 additional counties were added to the coverage area. The Club also provides “line of duty” death benefits statewide to dependents of commissioned personnel with the Texas Department of Public Safety, Texas Parks & Wildlife Department, and Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission as well as institutional personnel with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

The continued growth of The 100 Club is only made possible through our members and donations made from the community. 

Today we are more than 30,000 members strong.

Click map to enlarge

32 County Coverage Area

Angelina* Harris Robertson*
Austin Houston* Sabine*
Brazoria Jasper* San Augustine*
Brazos Lee* San Jacinto
Burleson Leon* Shelby*
Chambers Liberty Trinity*
Colorado Nacogdoches* Tyler*
Fayette Newton* Walker
Fort Bend Madison Waller
Galveston Montgomery Washington
Grimes Polk*  

 

* Expanded counties only include benefits for line-of-duty deaths.